Last weekend, clocks sprung forward which brings longer days and soon warmer temperatures. This can trigger feelings associated with Spring Fever.
While patiently waiting for the season to officially spring, I find myself wanting to clean, organize and freshen up inside. That way, my family is ready to relax and have fun in the sun!
As I consider how to tackle this year’s spring cleaning, I thought it would be helpful to share some insight found on Zillow’s blog. You may already do many of these things as part of your spring-cleaning routine, but it’s always helpful to get a fresh perspective to get you started.
Earlier this month, Zillow posted a blog titled, “Spring Cleaning 101: Make it Fast, Easy and Effective.” The post includes seven suggestions for tidying up your home as we move into the new season.
- Create a plan: Assign jobs and select areas to clean and organize.
- Minimize cleaning supplies: Take inventory of what you already have and buy cleaners that can do more than one job.
- Clean room-by-room: Focus on one space at a time to feel more accomplished.
- Focus on the most important areas: Select the most visible and used areas of the home first.
- Work smarter, not harder: Think about how to make a task easier before starting (i.e. self-clean setting on the oven).
- Get rid of clutter: Create four categories when sorting items to help you decide what is important and needs to be kept versus what can be donated or tossed.
- Create more efficient habits: Decide on one new way to help keep things clean (i.e. go paperless).
If you are on a roll with spring cleaning, you may also find this Zillow post helpful covering how to organize and declutter the garage.
The most important takeaway is to tackle spring cleaning area-by-area and day-by-day. This makes it more manageable to feel you’ve accomplished something as you work towards your goals.